Whether you love doughnuts or hate your waistline, Friday, June 5 is your day. Friday is National Doughnut Day – also known as National Donut Day.

If you’re a fan of “free” or if you’re more of a “free with purchase” kind of gal, there's a donut (doughnut) shop near you celebrating the day with some doughy goodness.

Krispy Kreme is the only one giving a free free doughnut (or, donut) away. And before you say, ‘they always give out a free donut (or, doughnut) what's the big deal?’ No, this time it’s any doughnut (donut) not just glazed. Dunkin' is doing the “free” but you have to buy a beverage thing.

And if traditional looking donuts (doughnuts) are too tame for you, you can hit up Hillside Coffee & Donut Co. and get one of the square donuts they're known and loved for if you buy a coffee or some kind of beverage, or a handful of free Cinnamon Sugar Minis from The Dapper Donut in The Fountains.

And lest you think National Doughnut Day (or, Donut Day) is just a made up “holiday,” there is some real history behind it. The Salvation Army started it in 1938 to honor what they referred to as the "Donut Lassies," a group of women who served donuts to soldiers in World War One. So, it's not just a marketing gimmick. But yeah, it's mostly that now.

And since I’m already in schooling-you mode, here are a few doughnut (or, donut) stats to go with your coffee.


•  1% of us hate doughnuts/donuts (?! They probably hate puppies and babies, too)
•  34% would never eat just half of a donut/doughnut (The other 66% are liars!)
•  Our three favorite types are glazed, Boston cream, and chocolate frosted
•  Most prefer the shorter spelling, d-o-n-u-t. Because 3 more letters be hard.

National Doughnut Day 2020 El Paso Promotions

Krispy Kreme - One doughnut, any doughnut, no purchase necessary. Three locations: 9040 B Dyer, 7640 N. Mesa, and the one at the Las Palmas Marketplace

Dunkin' - Doughnut with any beverage purchase. Six El Paso locations

Hillside Coffee & Donut Co. - One handmade, square donut with purchase of any beverage. 4935 N. Mesa (Montecillo), and 2260 N. Zaragosa

The Dapper Donut - 3 free Cinnamon Sugar Minis. The Fountains at Farah

93.1 KISS FM logo
Get our free mobile app

MORE: See 30 toys that every '90s kid wanted

More From 93.1 KISS FM