If you love doughnuts or just hate your waistline, Friday, June 4 is your day because Friday is National Doughnut Day – also known as National Donut Day.

Whether you’re a fan of “free” or more of a “free with purchase” kind of gal, there's a donut (doughnut) shop near you observing the day with some gratis doughy goodness.

Some, like Krispy Kreme and Weirdoughs are giving a free free doughnut away. And others, like Dunkin', are doing the free-if-you-buy-a-beverage thing, which isn't really free but if your were going to buy a beverage anyway then, score!

You'll find my list of where to score a free doughnut in El Paso below. And by the way, we don't have nearly as many donut shops as we should. I mean, there should be one on every corner. Mmmm, doughnuts.

The History of National Doughnut Day

And lest you think National Doughnut Day (or, Donut Day) is just a made up “holiday,” there is some real history behind it. The Salvation Army started it in 1938 to honor what they referred to as the "Donut Lassies," a group of women who served donuts to soldiers in World War One. So, it's not just a marketing gimmick. But yeah, it's mostly that now.



Doughnuts vs. Donuts? And Other Fun Facts

Wait, you’re still reading this? Wow. I would've bailed a paragraph ago. Well, if you’ve come this far then let me educate you with a few doughnut stats to go with your coffee or milk.

• “Doughnut” is proper, but “donut” is acceptable. Not acceptable? Poking your finger into my jelly filled.
• Most prefer the shorter spelling, d-o-n-u-t. Because 3 more letters is too much work.
• 1% of us hate doughnuts/donuts (They probably hate puppies and babies, too)
• 34% would never eat just half of a donut/doughnut (The other 66% are liars!)

Getty Images

National Doughnut Day 2021 El Paso Promotions

Krispy Kreme - One free doughnut, any doughnut, no purchase necessary. Three locations: 9040 B Dyer, 7640 N. Mesa, and the one at the Las Palmas Marketplace

Weirdoughs Bakery & Cafe - One free glazed donut per customer. In the Miner Village shopping center, 2900 N Mesa St, next to Uptown Cheapskate

Hillside Coffee & Donut Co. - One handmade, square donut with purchase of any beverage. 2260 N. Zaragosa

Dunkin' - A classic doughnut with any beverage purchase. Six El Paso locations

Donuts N Boba - Every dozen donuts purchase becomes a Baker’s Dozen (13 donuts instead of 12). 9601 Mccombs

LOOK: Here are 25 ways you could start saving money today

These money-saving tips—from finding discounts to simple changes to your daily habits—can come in handy whether you have a specific savings goal, want to stash away cash for retirement, or just want to pinch pennies. It’s never too late to be more financially savvy. Read on to learn more about how you can start saving now. [From: 25 ways you could be saving money today]