Monday Updates: What’s Open, Closed, & More Due To ELP Cold Snap
As a winter storm system continues to move through the region, the City of El Paso opens Warming Centers, will keep vaccine appointments, and monitor roads while libraries, the Zoo, State Testing Sites and Food Pantries are all closed today due to cold snap.
On Sunday El Pasoans experienced more than just a red-hot Valentine’s Day as an arctic cold front brought several inches of snow and freezing temperatures to the borderland.
With more low temperatures expected today - here’s what you need to know:
- The Office of Emergency Management and Department of Public Health will continue providing COVID-19 vaccines for individuals who have scheduled appointments. (Don Haskins Recreation Center and George Perry sites)
- Open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. - The COVID-19 hotline is still available at 915-212-6843. For more information or to register for the vaccine visit epcovidvaccine.com.
State COVID-19 Testing Sites
- State COVID-19 Testing Sites closed yesterday and will be closed today as well. State testing sites will resume regular hours on Tuesday, February 16, 2021.
- El Pasoans Fighting Hunger Primary Pantry Food Distribution Sites will be closed today, including the main location at 9541 Plaza Circle. Food distribution will continue tomorrow once again.
Streets / Maintenance
- Streets and Maintenance Department workers have been treating roadways with sand and / or salt and will continue to monitor weather conditions.
- At this time, Transmountain Road and Scenic Drive is also closed to due hazardous and to slippery conditions.
- Motorists are also reminded to slow down and keep a safe distance from other drivers and crews treating the streets.
- El Pasoans who need to warm up are also encouraged to visit any one of the seven City Warming Centers open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and include:
- Galatzan Recreation Center (650 Wallenberg Dr.)
- Clardy Fox Library (5515 Robert Alva Ave.),
- Marty Robbins Rec Center (11600 Vista Del Sol Dr.)
- Memorial Senior Center (1800 Byron St.)
- Wellington Chew Senior Center (4430 Maxwell Ave.)
- Pavo Real Senior Center (9301 Alameda Ave.)
- San Juan Senior Center (5701 Tamburo Ct.)
Library Curbside Pick-up and El Paso Zoo
- Although the El Paso Zoo just reopened, it is closed just for today and so are the Curbside Library services.
- Fixed routes and LIFT Paratransit services will be operating on a normal schedule today but routes may experience delays due to the road conditions. For route information visit SunMetro.net or call 915-212-3333.
El Paso International Airport
- Travelers should check the status of their flights with their airlines for any flight cancellations or delays.
- The Paso Del Norte, Stanton and Zaragoza international bridges remain open to the traveling public.
- The Greater El Paso Landfill located at 2600 Darrington Road in Clint will have a two-hour delayed start today at 9 a.m. For more information visit elpasotexas.gov/ESD or call 915-212-6000.
El Paso, Canutillo and Clint ISD
- No school - President's Day
Ysleta, Socorro, Fabens, Tornillo, and San Elizario, ISD
- Classes will be conducted online for the safety of staff and students.
- YMCA childcare centers and gyms will open at 10 a.m. but will continue monitoring weather this morning and will send any updates via social media for any changes.
TIPS: Here's how you can prepare for power outages