Back To School: Safety Zone Reminders
The kids are back at school and that means it’s time for motorists to slow down around school zones.
School is back in session and that means that motorists need to pay extra attention around school zones especially when changing lanes, or passing other vehicles, school buses and avoid speeding.
Motorists are urged to take caution, particularly when traveling through school zones and near bus stops.
Tips for Motorists:
- Obey all traffic laws and speed limits, especially the 15 MPH limit in school zones
- Do not pass other vehicles in school zones or at crosswalks
- Do not change lanes in school zones
- Do not make U-Turns in school zones
- Do not text or otherwise use a mobile phone while driving
- Stop for school buses that are loading or unloading children
- Obey signals from school crossing guards
- Be alert and watch for children near schools, bus stops and in school parking lots
- Do not park at curbs painted yellow, or red which are designated for emergency vehicles only
Tips for Students:
- Parents of younger students who ride a school are urged to escort their children to and from their scheduled bus stop
- Children should not stand or play in the roadway while waiting for, or leaving, a school bus
- Students who walk to school should do so in groups or pairs, and follow safety rules for pedestrians
- Cross streets only at crosswalks
- Walk – don’t ride – a bicycle across streets and only in designated crosswalks
- Avoid horseplay on sidewalks, while riding a bus or bicycle
It only takes a moment for a car crash to happen, so be alert, drive safely, and follow all safety school zones for everyone’s benefit.