Businesses Stepping Up to Assist Furloughed Employees
As the partial government shutdown continues businesses are lending a hand any way they can.
The government has been shut down for over a month now and furloughed workers are in dire need of assistance. As thousands of furloughed employees are dealing with the grueling reality of their missing paychecks, local and national businesses are extending a hand to help some of these families make ends meet.
Local El Paso Businesses
- YMCA: The YMCA of El Paso is offering employees a place to work out for free with their family.
- Poke3: All three Poke3 locations are offering a free meal to all furloughed federal employees on weekends.
- Taco Cabana: Is offering 20 percent off their entire menu to furloughed employees with a valid federal I.D. until the shutdown ends.
- El Paso Electric: They will work with affected employees to find individual solutions. Customers can contact EPE’s Customer Care at 915-543-5970 (Texas) or 575-526-5555 (New Mexico).
- Texas Gas Service: Offering payment options by calling 800-700-2443 ( 6:00 am to 6:00 pm MST)Purre Barre: Is offering a free week of classes, just show your federal I.D.
- Pure Barre: Is offering a free week of classes, just show your federal I.D.
Financial Institutions Assistance Programs
- Discover Card Members: Federal workers who are card members or have a loan with Discover Bank may be eligible for assistance such as skipping a payment and having late fees and interest charges reversed if they miss a payment because of the shutdown by calling 800-347-2683.
- Bank of America: Offering personal finance assistance by calling 844-219-0690.
- Chase: Customers can call 888-356-0023 to discuss available hardship programs.
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Affected union members who have direct deposit of their government pay may be eligible for interest-free loans.
- Wells Fargo: Customers should call 1-800-TO-WELLS, or the number on their credit card or debit card to see what options are available.
Wireless Phone Providers
- AT&T: Customers are eligible for flexible payment options to keep their service operational, including phones, television, and internet. To make payment arrangements visit att.com.
- Sprint: Affected customers should call 888-211-4727 or chat online at sprint.com.
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile will help with payment deferrals and flexible payment options that allow customers to spread their service payments over time. Customers can call T-Mobile Customer Care at 611 from a T-Mobile device or 877-746-0909 from any phone.
- Verizon: Flexible payment options and a Promise to Pay program that can be set up in the My Verizon app or website or by calling 866-266-1445.
- Rosetta Stone: The language learning software is offering a free three-month online subscription. Email your name and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.