YISD Announces Summer Sports Activities Can Resume This Week
The Ysleta Independent School District announced that summer athletic activities for The District can resume on Wednesday, June 24. While some of the other local districts authorized summer workouts to begin on the 15th, YISD made the decision to hold off on announcing when to restart summer workouts.
Area coaches have taken the reduction of summer workouts in stride and have expressed their understanding of the importance of keeping their student athletes as safe as possible.
The University Interscholastic League has provided instructions and requirements for COVID-19 strength and conditioning as well as sports specific instruction. Summer workouts are optional for student athletes, must maintain social distancing guidelines, and must not exceed two hours per day (Monday – Friday).
More requirements are listed below, but you may also access the full list of UIL requirements by clicking here.
- Schools must follow all requirements of state and local authorities
- Attendance at workouts must be optional for students and schools should consider providing students guidance for working out at home or remotely away from school
- Students may not be given access to locker rooms or shower facilities
- Students should report to workouts in proper gear and immediately return home to shower at end of the workout
- No clothing or towels may be laundered on site or shared during workouts
- There can be no shared water or food
- Indoor workout activities can be conducted up to a maximum of 50%
- Schools should limit the total number of participants based on appropriate space for social distancing
- Workout stations must be spaced to allow for at least ten feet of distance between them in all directions