White Sands 2019 Full Moon Hike Schedule And Details
Check out a full moon hike this year at White Sands.
Admire our glorious moon from the dunes at White Sands this year – it is one of the most unique and magical experiences ever!
The full moon hikes at White Sands are led by a ranger and you also get firsthand knowledge of the types of animals that survive in the dunes. The hour-long full moon hikes are offered once a month on the night before the full moon.
Full Moon Hike Schedule
- Friday, May 17 at 7:45 p.m.
- Sunday, June 16 at 8:00 p.m.
- Monday, July 15 at 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 14 at 7:45 p.m.
- Friday, September 13 at 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 12 at 6:30 p.m.
- Pre-registered participants will meet 30 minutes before the start time at the ranger at the Dune Life Nature Trail, a 2.3-mile (3.7 km) drive from the fee station
- If your name is not on the ranger's list, you will not be allowed to participate in the program
- $8 for 16 and older (plus monument entrance fees)
- $4 per child ages 15 and younger
- Federal passes such as America the Beautiful Annual, Senior, and Access passes apply only to the entrance fees and do not cover the special program fee
- Monument entrance fees and camping fees are non-refundable
- Participants must stay with the group and be physically capable of walking a total of one mile (1.6 km) in the dunes.
- Children must always stay close to their parents or guardians – no young children allowed, and the trail is not stroller-accessible
- Be prepared for varying temperatures and weather conditions as the temperature drops quickly as the sun goes down
- Closed-toe shoes are required
- One liter of water per person is recommended
- Flashlights and flash photography are not allowed along with no tripods will be allowed to preserve everyone's night vision and program experience
- The trail is one mile (1.61 km) long and participants must be able to hike the entire trail
Reservations are required for this program and must be made through Recreation.gov or by calling (1-877-444-6777). You can make reservations up to one month in advance of the program. Tour fees apply and will be charged by recreation.gov. Monument entrance fees also apply and will be charged at the monument.