2017 ‘Movies in the Canyon’ Series Gets Underway This Weekend
The 2017 season of Movies in the Canyon kicks off this weekend at McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre, one of El Paso's most beautiful outdoor venues.
Outdoor movie-loving El Pasoans know there are more than a few options and opportunities to watch a movie under the open sky this time of the year -- mostly in a city park -- but none compare to the ambience and scenic beauty of the canyon.
Watching a movie under the stars at McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre is truly spectacular. And to free to see!
The popular free outdoor movie series will run from Friday, August 18 through Saturday, September 30. Every Friday and Saturday, past and present blockbusters and family-friendly favorites will be shown on a giant state-of-the-art movie screen set up on the stage of the amphitheater.
This year, movies have been grouped into various categories such as "Superheroes" and "Song and Dance," and each night will target a slightly different age group. Friday night will feature kid-friendly movies rated G or PG. Flicks shown on Saturdays will be PG-13 or movies rated PG for some scary sequences and language.
2017 Movies in the Canyon Lineup
• 18 – Pete’s Dragon (2016)
• 19 – Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
• 25 – The Secret Life of Pets
• 26 – Dumb & Dumber
• 1 – Space Jam
• 2 – Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
• 8 – The Lego Batman Movie
• 9 – Doctor Strange
• 15 – Sing
• 16 – La La Land
• 22 – Moana
• 23 – The Jungle Book (2016)
• 29 – Hotel Transylvania 2
• 30 – Hocus Pocus
What to Know Before You Go
• No pets or outside food and drinks allowed
• Movie theater-type snacks will be available for purchase
• Movie start times determined by dusk
• August movies will begin at 8:15 p.m.
• Movies the first three weekends of September will begin at 8 p.m.
• Movies the final two weekends of September will begin at 7:30 p.m.
• Gates open one hour prior to showtime
• Movie will be cancelled if strong winds and/or heavy rains occur.
• El Paso Live Weather Hotline is 915-534-0674