If You Have A Real Christmas Tree Check Out These Safety Tips
A Christmas tree shining with twinkling lights, glittering ornaments, and presents piled unde rthe tree is such a beautiful picture, but those beautiful trees can be a fire hazard and burn down your home faster than you can imagine. More than 200 home structure fires are caused by Christmas trees, and over 2,600 people are injured by those fires every year.
To keep your home and family safe, remember these safety tips:
1. Never put your tree close to a heat source - Your tree can dry out near a heater or vent and become a fire hazard, and a fireplace is just an accident waiting to happen with embers that can catch the tree on fire. Make sure that there are no candles burning near your tree.
2. Water your tree daily - If there is still water in the tree stand, you're good, but if the stand is dry, add more water.
3. Check your lights - Frayed cords or overloaded sockets and extension cords can spark and set your tree on fire.
4. Turn your tree off - Don't leave your tree lights on when you're not home or have gone to bed.
5. Dispose of your tree properly - A dried up tree in your yard could catch fire just as easily as it could in your house. Take your tree to a City recycling center, or call to have it picked up to dispose of it quickly and properly.