Free Books May 1 at Día de los Niños, Día de los Libros City-Wide Event
El Paso Public Libraries and El Paso Parks & Recreation have set the date for the 2021 Día de los Niños/Día de los Libros. The children's literacy event will take place on Saturday, May 1, at various sites throughout El Paso.
As has been the case since its inception, thousands of brand-new books will be given away to children who attend the celebration that day. This year’s free book giveaway marks its 25th anniversary. The children's day book day dates back to 1997, and is a partnership spearheaded by the El Paso Public Library and El Paso Parks and Recreation. It is the largest and most successful literacy celebration of its type in the Southwest.
With the pandemic still very much a part of our daily lives, and the city being careful to follow health official’s guidelines on events it is involved in, the 2021 celebration will be different than those in the past. Typically, Día de los Niños includes live entertainment, jumping balloons, activity booths, and vendors, but that will not be the case this year.
Instead, the city departments will provide virtual programing on their social media sites on the day of the event, according to a City of El Paso press release.
Those wanting to take them up on the free book offer are asked to pick them up inside one of the locations listed below, and to please mask up and adhere to social distancing protocols.
25th Annual Día de los Niños, Día de los Libros
• Saturday, May 1, 2021
• 10 a.m. to noon
• Free books will be available at the following locations, while supplies last:
- Chamizal Community Center and Library, 2119 Cypress Ave
- Downtown Artist and Farmer’s Market, 117 Anthony St.
- Galatzan Recreation Center, 650 Wallenberg
- Gary Del Palacio Recreation Center, 3001 Parkwood St. at Album Park
- Valle Bajo Community Center and Library, 7380 Alameda Ave.
- Veterans Recreation Center, 5301 Salem Dr.
- The Bookmobile at The Beast Urban Park, 13501 Jason Crandall Dr.