Ascarate Golf Course Months-Long Shutdown Ends – Reopening Guide
The classy way to avoid real-life responsibilities is good to go again.
After determining conditions concerning the spread of COVID-19 has met certain thresholds agreed upon at the beginning of the year, Commissioner’s Court voted to reopen Ascarate Golf Course to the public.
The 27-hole, Lower Valley golf course is scheduled to reopen at 6 a.m. Friday, February 5, 2021, according to a county press release.
In voting in favor of resuming duffs and mulligans at the county-owned course, County Judge Ricardo Samaniego noted the good mental health aspect of reopening the course, while Commissioner Carlos Leon pointed out how outdoor activities are generally regarded as safer.
What You Need to Know
- Max of 4 golfers per tee time
- Tee times must be made by phone and paid in advance
- Max of 5 people allowed in the pro-shop and masks must be worn at all times
Ascarate Park Gate Fee Reinstated
Beginning Saturday, February 6, the county will begin charging to get into Ascarate Park again. The entrance fee is $2 per vehicle on Saturdays and Sundays.
Ascarate Park Activities Limited
Ascarate Park will continue to allow the use of walking/biking trails and fishing. However, the use of handball courts, basketball courts, tennis courts, and pools remain prohibited.
What You Need to Know:
• Park activity hours are 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• NO social gatherings.
• All picnic shelters, playgrounds, basketball courts, handball court, pools and sport fields are CLOSED.
• Observe social distancing of six feet at all times from other people. Warn other trail users of your presence and as you pass to allow proper distance and step off trails to allow others to pass, keeping minimum recommended distances at all times.
• There wit be NO port-a-potties available, be prepared before you leave and time outings so that you are not dependent on public restrooms.
• Bring water or drinks — public drinking fountains will be CLOSED
The county-run parks in Socorro, San Elizario, Clint, Vinton, Anthony, and Horizon City are also closed except for limited activities such as the use of walking paths that are adjacent to streets, parks, or within parks.