Did ‘Ya Know The Dallas Cowboys Don’t Really Play In Dallas, Tx?
The Dallas Cowboys are one of many NFL teams that aren't based exactly where they say they are.
The Dallas Cowboys have been based in the Dallas area for their entire history which began in 1960. Believe it or not, they were kinda the New England Patriots of those early days, missing the playoffs only twice between 1966 and 1985.
While The Cowboys may not be based in Dallas proper, at least they are in Texas. Both New York teams ... The Giants and The Jets ... play in New Jersey.
My beloved New England Patriots don't play in "New England" because there is no such city or state. NE is a region occupied by Vermont, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Connecticut. The Patriots stadium is in Foxborough, Mass.
Those are not the only ones, here are some more:
- Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers = Inglewood, not LA.
- San Francisco 49ers = Santa Clara, not San Francisco.
- Las Vegas Raiders = Paradise NV, not Las Vegas, NV. (The stadium's practically ON the strip though ... weird.)
- Washington = Landover, Maryland.
- Buffalo Bills = Orchard Park, not Buffalo.
The Chicago Bears recently started the process of moving into a new stadium and may soon join the list of NFL teams that aren't from their namesake city.
Most of the other NFL teams use their state of origin rather than a city.