Check Out These Pics From Inside El Paso’s Super Guppy
Driving past the El Paso International Airport on Boeing might seem like a really boring thing to do but you might have caught sight of the really weird looking aircraft that looks kind of like a whale with wings. It's not a whale, it's the Super Guppy, and I got the chance to get up close and personal with this amazing aircraft.
WHAT IS THE SUPER GUPPY
The Super Guppy is used to transport oversized cargo for the government and private industry. It's huge and when you're driving past it you really don't get the full effect of just how big it is. The Super Guppy is a little over 36 feet tall and the tail is even taller at just over 48 feet high. The Super Guppy is 143 feet long and the wingspan is 156 feet. A football field is 360 feet long so you can imagine how big the the Super Guppy is. Check out these pics I got from up close and inside.
1. Walking up on the Super Guppy is intimidating. This is from pretty far away and already you can tell you're about to be dwarfed by it.
2. The wingspan on the Super Guppy is unreal. I know this thing flies but it just looks too big to be able to.
3. It seems odd that an aircraft this big would use propellers but here they are.
4. The stairs of the Super Guppy have both El Paso and the Johnson Space Center on them.
5. One of the pilots put the Superman sticker on the Super Guppy and if you can pilot this thing, you probably deserve the title.
6. When you walk inside of the Super Guppy it makes you feel like you've been swallowed by a whale. They can fit fighter jets in here so you can only imagine how big it is, and the lights make it look like something out of a sci-fi movie.
7. Believe it or not the Super Guppy can fly low enough that the pilots can use an old-fashioned paper map to figure out where they are. Not that they would have to do that but if they did, they have one handy in the cockpit.