Blue Moon Drive-In Style Theatre Brings Old Hollywood Vibes To EP
Take in a blast from the past as Blue Moon Drive-In opens this weekend, bringing vintage Hollywood vibes to Central El Paso.
Even before the coronavirus arrived, the drive-in movie theater business was experiencing a comeback all on its own. So after two years in the making, the Blue Moon Drive-In will finally open to the public this Saturday.
After working on movie sets in Hollywood for years, (the owner) Gary Monteleone was inspired to open a classic movie-themed drive-in-style theatre cafe. The concept features his collection of authentic movie memorabilia and artwork followed by screenings of vintage movies made before 1965 paired up with great eats and treats, making for one unique and nostalgic feel.
The outdoor venue located next door to Monteleone's Italian Restaurant boasts an old-school drive-in-style café featuring handmade car booths that give the illusion of sitting inside a vehicle at the drive-in. The whole setup is so alluring, especially the old vintage drive-in speakers located throughout the space.
Visitors will also find genuine and classic Hollywood memorabilia, such as one of the E.T. and Gremlin movie character props, along with a selection of movie-theatre candy.
Facing the I-10 freeway, the Blue Moon Drive-In outdoor theatre will transport the curious and whimsical to another place, so much so that the sounds of traffic zipping past the venue melt away.
The old Hollywood film-inspired atmosphere and decor from the outdoor seating area to the bathrooms is meant to be an immersive visual experience featuring hand-painted wall art including classic monster movie characters of the golden age of sci-fi movies such as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Alien Invaders, and many more.
Everything at the Blue Moon Drive-In from the layout to the aesthetic is intricately detailed, including the custom-made projector screen made of poured recycled aluminum from Herndon's Gift Shop on Stiles here in town.
The Blue Moon Drive-In will be open on weekends, beginning this Saturday with one inclusive ticket good for dinner and a show.
- $15 ticket includes the movie and meal with a selection of chips, drink, and choice of hamburgers or hotdogs made with homemade scratch bread from Wrap & Roll Café.
- Must reserve your spot in advance as seating is limited.
- All reservations can be reserved with Cash App or Facebook Pay and must be paid by 8 p.m. the day before your movie date.
- Offering popcorn, candy, pickles, sodas, and bottled beer
- Cash only at this time
- Screening: This Island Earth (1955) - Horror-mystery sci-fi film starring Jeff Morrow, Faith Domergue, Rex Reason. The campy props and decent special effects add to the charm of this throwback film, but the intriguing plot is what will keep you invested.
- About This Island Earth: Scientist Cal Meacham (Rex Reason) solves a mysterious puzzle that allows him access to a highly secretive project led by the mysterious Exeter (Jeff Morrow). Soon after, Meacham, with the help of fellow scientists Ruth Adams (Faith Domergue) and Steve Carlson (Russell Johnson), discover the sinister plan plotted by their peculiar host.
Blue Moon Drive-In - 3019 1/2 Gateway West 79903
- Saturday – June 5, 2021
- The movie runs for an hour and 26 minutes.
- Parking & Entrance: Park is open around the neighborhood and directly behind the building or side streets. Enter through the gate entrance located in the back of the building.
Step back in time this summer at the Blue Moon Drive-In and book your seat today because with its limited capacity - it's bound to sell out in no time.