6 Tributes In Honor Of August 3 Victims & Families Around El Paso
The El Paso community can join in on various tributes to honor the victims and their families of the August 3, 2019, mass shooting.
Our community is still healing three years after the horrific shooting at Walmart. In memory of the 23 souls we lost, the City of El Paso and community partners are hosting several tributes in remembrance around the Sun City on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.
Memorial Bell Toll Ceremony - (Tuesday, August 2, at 8:30 a.m.)
Location: City Hall, 300 N. Campbell, Main Conference Room, 2nd floor
- The City Council will host a special ceremony with a moment of sileach victim's names and a bell ringingictim and the ringing of a bell in remembrance of the 23 victims.
- The Consulate General of Mexico will also attend the ceremony
- Mariachi Alegre will perform music in tribute to the victims
- To watch the ceremony, tune in to CITY-TV (Spectrum 1300, U-Verse 99, Regular TV Channel 13.4) and YouTube @cityofelpasotx.
Blood Drive at City Hall - Tuesday, August 2, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Location: City Hall, 300 N. Campbell, Breezeway, 1st floor
- The Vitalant blood bank will host a blood drive at City Hall.
- Appointments are required - Click HERE.
- Donors prizes and snacks will be provided.
Healing Meditation - Tuesday, August 2 at 7 p.m.
Location: San Jacinto Plaza, 114 W. Mills Ave.
- Live Active El Paso will host a free Sound Bath with Instruments of Healing session.
Resilience: In Rememberance- Wednesday, August 3, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Location: El Paso Museum of History, 510 N. Santa Fe
- The Museum of History invites the public to view the exhibit Resilience: Remembering August 3
- The exhibit features luminaries and items left by community members at a makeshift memorial days after the mass shooting
Luminarias at Ponder Park - Wednesday, August 3, from 7 to 9 p.m.
Location: Ponder Park, 7500 W H Burges
- The public can have a moment of silence at the temporary memorial site at Ponder Park.
- El Paso Pro-Musica will perform a musical tribute.
- The Public Health Department will assist visitors in writing a message of encouragement and hope on the temporary memorial.
- Aliviane, Emergence Health Network, and other community partners will provide support.
- El Paso Fire Department will display a large American flag atop a ladder, weather permitting.
Unite with Light - Wednesday, August 3 at 8:30 p.m.
Location: Star on the Mountain, Buildings, Public Art, and Landmarks
Star on the Mountain
- El Paso Chamber will flash the star 23 times for each victim
Memorial Lighting of Public Art and Buildings: Various landmarks and buildings will also be illuminated in orange from August 1 to 5 in remembrance, including:
- Public art sculpture on I-10 and Airway
- El Paso International Airport terminal and landscape of walking path
- Abraham Chavez Theatre (Art Sculptures)
- Blue Flame Building
- Sunflower Bank Building
- Texas Department of Texas of Transportation (TXDOT) Highway Lights (bridge lights and arches on I-10 west)
The community is also encouraged to light their front yards, porches, and windows with candles, twinkle lights, luminarias, or other lighting starting at 8 p.m. Wednesday, August 3.