El Paso WinterFest Kicks Off This Weekend – Here Are Some Safety Tips
This weekend, WinterFest will kick off the holiday season in downtown El Paso. There will be the annual Celebration of Lights with military bands and church choirs, the lighting of the City's Christmas tree in San Jacinto Plaza, and entertainment throughout the first night on the main stage of the plaza. There is a parade that will wind its way around downtown. You can check out the parade route and schedule by clicking here.
Although the event is family-friendly, here are things to know before you go:
1. Get there with plenty of time to stake out a space for you and your family. Lots of people go so you'll need to go early.
2. Stay behind the barricades on the parade routes. There are big floats that could injure you if you or a child wander onto the parade route.
3. Don't run across the street between floats unless directed by parade staff or law enforcement.
4. Drones are not allowed. You could be arrested if you are found using a drone.
5. Don't put your kids on your shoulders. The crowd can move unexpectedly and they might get knocked off your shoulders.
6. If you see something, say something. There is going to be a big crowd, so to help everyone stay safe, if you see any suspicious behavior, report it immediately to a uniformed police officer. If you don't see one, you can call 911.