Homemade Caldo De Albóndigas Is Perfect For Chilly El Paso Days
Homemade meatball soup or Caldo de albóndigas is a hearty meal and the perfect comfort food for chilly El Paso days or nights.
While we didn't have an extraordinarily super cold winter season last year, we have been experiencing chiller days lately, which begs for a hearty bowl of Caldo de albóndigas.
You can find a delicious bowl of meatball soup at just about any Mexican eatery, such as L&J Cafe or El Crucero, but there's nothing like making a pot from scratch. For that reason, I am sharing an easy family recipe that can be table-ready in about an hour.
This Caldo de Albóndigas yields about 6-8 servings and is super easy to make, so have at it and cozy up with a delicious bowl tonight.
Ingredients For Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 egg
Ingredients For The Soup
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced or blended if you prefer
- 1 small poblano diced
- 6 stalks of celery
- 6 carrots
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped and more for garnish
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the meatball ingredients, form into bite-sized meatballs, and then cover and refrigerate.
- In a Dutch oven or regular pot, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to medium heat.
- Add the onions, bay leaves, poblano, and serrano pepper, season lightly with salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for no more than 1 minute and then add the tomatoes, cilantro, oregano, chicken broth and bring it up to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat slightly and carefully drop in the meatballs.
- Stir gently and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges