El Paso Animal Services Shelter Offers Safety Tips For Pets During Halloween
Most of us love Halloween, but just like there can be problems with fireworks during the Fourth of July, pets can sometimes have trouble enjoying Halloween. The El Paso Animal Services Shelter has some tips on how to make sure your pets and trick-or-treaters all have a fun night.
1. Keep pets inside your house - Costumes might scare your pets and the constant ringing of the door bell might stress them out. Keep your pet in a separate room with their favorite toys and some background noise to calm them.
2. Keep candy away from pets - Some candies can be toxic to animals, and wrappers might cause choking.
3. Not all pets like costumes - You might think they are adorable with a pumpkin costume, but it could stress your pet out. Consider something simple, like a Halloween bandana, which can be a more comfortable solution.
4. Keep jack-o-lanterns with flames out of reach - Try using flameless candles to prevent the risk of injury. Be sure other decorations are out of reach, as well.
5. Keep a collar and ID tag on your pets Pets can get out and unless they have an ID tag and are microchipped, it might be difficult to get them back to you.
If your pet does go missing, Animal Services encourages owners to visit the shelter immediately to see if they made it to the facility located at 5001 Fred Wilson.