Amber Alert Cancelled For Two Boys Taken From El Paso Home
El Paso Police say two boys who were allegedly abducted from an Upper Valley home have been returned to their mother. The boys were the subject of an Amber Alert that has since been cancelled.
8-year-old Leonardo Ortega and 2-year-old Matias Carrillo were allegedly taken from their home in the 5700 block of Valley Lilac Lane early Saturday morning. The Amber Alert said that Justin Carrillo had taken the boys by force from the home and was driving a 2003 Black Hyundai Elantra with Texas License plate KYR4562. He was described by police in the Amber Alert as being 5’10” tall with brown hair and hazel eyes, weighing approximately 190 lbs. It was reported that Carillo is the biological father of Matias. It was also initially reported that Carrillo was believed to be suicidal and possibly in possession of a handgun.
The boys were found in Juarez by Chihuahua state investigators. They were found at a hotel in the ProNaF area near the Bridge of the Americas. They were were discovered unarmed. The boys were returned to their mother by the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service. According the El Paso Times, the Chihuahua Attorney General's office said that Carrillo told investigators that he took the boys to Juárez "because the couple was having problems."
After the Amber Alert was cancelled, El Paso police said in a statement that no arrests had been made and the investigation into the alledged kidnappings was ongoing. Carrillo was arrested in Juarez and remains in jail in Mexico. Mexican authorities say they will determine if he will be charged in the alleged kidnapping in the next 48 hours.