Tax-Free Weekend Is Here – These Are the Items You Can Save Money On
Texas’ Tax-Free Weekend is upon us.
Despite the current uncertainties and anxieties revolving around the upcoming school year, its start is inevitable. Whether the learning takes place online or in-person, in a classroom or in the bedroom, your student is going to need school supplies and a new wardrobe or two.
And thanks to the state’s annual Sales Tax Holiday you can save a few bucks on their purchase this weekend. From Friday, August 7 to Sunday, August 9, the usual sales tax will not be tacked onto your purchases of eligible items that sell for less than $100 each.
Internet Shopping and Law-away are Coronavirus Shopping Options
For those who feel going to the mall or from store to store is not safe enough yet, you do have the option of shopping online or over the telephone if you purchase the qualifying items "from an online or catalog seller doing business in Texas,” and if:
• The item is both delivered and paid for during the Sales Tax Holiday, or
• If ordered and paid for between Friday and Sunday for immediate shipment, even if the actual delivery is made after the tax-free period ends.
Lay-away plans can be used to take advantage of the savings as well, provided the final payment on items previously placed on lay-away is made between August 7-9, or if the qualifying items are placed on layaway that weekend.
So, which items qualify?
• Footwear, like sneakers, boots, sandals, slippers, and socks.
• Most clothing, such as jeans, shorts, shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, sweaters – even pajamas, robes, and nightshirts.
• School supplies: Crayons, erasers, glue, highlighters, markers, notebooks, loose leaf ruled paper, pencils, pencil sharpeners, pens, calculators.