Royalty Alert: You Still Have A Chance To Apply For This Years Sun Bowl Court
Calling all royalty! Yea, I’m talking to you, Queen.
Growing up, one of my favorite floats to wave to and see in the Thanksgiving parade was the Sun Bowl Association's float which featured all the strong and beautiful women that made up the Sun Court.
The Sun Court is always made up of strong, smart and powerful women that strive at making a positive impact in our community.
The chance for YOU to become part of one of the Sun Bowl’s longest tradition is happening now!
The Sun Bowl Association is making a final call to this interested in becoming part of the Sun Court to apply for the 2022-23 Sun Court.
The Sun Court dates back to 1935 when organizers planned the event as a companion to the first Sun Bowl game.
“Coronation has been part of the Sun Bowl since the first-ever college Sun Bowl game was played in 1936. Coronation played a huge social role in the “Sun Carnival”, the week-long pageantry associated with the Sun Bowl,” said Sun Bowl officials.
Applications for the 2022-23 Sun Court opened back in May and Sun Bowl Association officials are hoping a final call will encourage more young women to apply before the deadline, Sunday, June 18th.
The women who participate in the Sun Court will serve as community ambassadors during all Sun Bowl events, including the Sun Bowl Parade and the Tony the Tiger football game to name a few.
Contestants will be selected based on numerous skills and abilities including poise, personality, communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to demonstrate knowledge of El Paso and all Sun Bowl Association events.
Sun Princess applicants must be full-time students at a college or university and in good academic standing and must fit the following criteria in order to be eligible:
- A female between the ages of 18-22 (as of Sept. 1) and have completed one year of college
- Have not been married and have not had any children
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 academic hours or full time in a graduate program
- A cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (Transcript must be included with application)
- Sun Princesses may not hold any other title during the time they are members of the Sun Court (i.e. Miss El Paso, Miss Texas, etc)
- Responsible for their own transportation costs to attend mandatory events
If this seems like something you would love to participate in then click the link for an application: sunbowl.org or you can pick one up at the SBA office, located at 4150 Pinnacle Street, Suite 100 in El Paso, Texas.
The deadline to apply is June 18 by 5 p.m. (MT).
Good luck to all the applicants!