This weekend, an El Paso family found out the hard way that a fire can start can start anywhere, anytime.  Thankfully, they had a working smoke alarm - do you?


Twenty-one firefighters were called to a house fire on Joe Porter on the east side just after 7:30 Sunday morning.

Two people were inside the home when the fire started, but fled the home after smoke alarms went off.

Fire crews say the fire started in the laundry room and was caused by a faulty dryer motor.

Crews were able to contain the fire in the laundry area, but the home did sustain smoke damage in other areas as well.

Two small dogs were rescued by fire crews and one of the occupants, a 54-year-old man, was treated at the scene for minor scalp burns.

Fire officials say an accidental fire can happen at any time and it is important to always have a working smoke alarm, in your home.

For information on fire prevention and safety, or for information on how to receive a free smoke alarm you can call the Fire Prevention Division at 485-5699.

More From 93.1 KISS FM