EPISD Announces 2020 Dates, Venues for Outdoor Graduation Ceremonies
The El Paso Independent School District will be celebrating its 2020 senior classes in outdoor commencement ceremonies, the district has announced.
EPISD has been given the go-ahead to hold graduations at Franklin, El Paso and Bowie High School stadiums from June 15 to June 20. The stadiums were selected because they have the capacity to allow for social distancing and parking for guests, according to a district press release.
“We are happy to be able to provide our high-school seniors with a ceremony that celebrates their accomplishments,” Superintendent Juan E. Cabrera said. “We know these ceremonies will be different from our traditional graduations, but we’re confident that they will provide our graduates with the opportunity to close their high-school career in the company of their classmates.”
The changes in times, dates, and venues supersede plans announced in April, and reflect state and local issued COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions.
EPISD 2020 Graduation Schedule
• June 15 at El Paso High stadium: CCTA 9 a.m./El Paso High 8 p.m.
• June 16 at Franklin High stadium: Transmountain Early College 9 a.m./Irvin 8 p.m.
• June 17 at Franklin High stadium: Franklin 9 a.m./Coronado 8 p.m.
• June 18 at Franklin High stadium: Chapin 9 a.m./Andress 8 p.m.
• June 19 at Bowie High stadium: Burges 9 a.m./Austin 8 p.m.
• June 20 at Bowie High stadium: Jefferson-Silva 9 a.m./Bowie 9 p.m.
The following rules and regulations must be followed
• Each graduate will be given two guests tickets that must be presented at the door.
• Face masks will be required for everyone in attendance.
• Social distancing for graduates on the field and in the stands will be enforced.
• Guests are allowed to bring a bottle of water, but coolers not allowed.
• Stadiums seats allowed, umbrellas are not.
• Graduates and guests will be released at staggered times to facilitate social distancing and discourage gatherings
Because the number of guest will be limited, all ceremonies will be livestreamed on episd.org/live.