Monika’s Top 2018 Picks
Following Barack Obama’s annual tradition of sharing his list of favorite books, songs, and movies, I thought I’d share mine too.
When Barack Obama was in office and he began sharing his annual list I was inspired to also keep my running list of much-loved tunes, books, and movies for the year. While his list is much longer, I decided to stick with just my top five, simply because I only read five books that came out in 2018 and decided to use that number as my guide.
Feel free to look up some of my choices, they are as random as can be depending on my mood especially when it comes to music. My musical taste this year ran the gambit from pop to country and everything in between, while my literary selections included everything from Parker Posey’s memoir to the dark-humored novel, French Exit. There were tons of movies that I also loved in 2018 and it was difficult narrowing it down to just five but here you go – my top picks for 2018.
- How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan
- Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata
- Mad, Bad, Dangerous to Know: The Fathers of Wilde, Yeats, and Joyce by Colm Toibin
- French Exit: A Novel by Patrick DeWitt
- You're on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir by Parker Posey
- Avengers Infinity War
- Crazy Rich Asians
- Black Panther
- Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned From a Mythical Man
- Bad Times at the El Royale
- LP – Girls Go Wild
- The 1975 – Mine
- Bradley Cooper – Black Eyes
- Calvin Harris & Sam Smith – Promises
- Troye Sivan – Lucky Strike