Barbie Releases New Dia De Los Muertos (Day of The Dead) Doll
Mattel is back with a second collectible Barbie doll inspired by the Mexican holiday, Dia De Los Muertos.
Growing up I had an arsenal of Barbie dolls, now as an adult, I still have a soft spot for them especially with the debut of Mattel's latest Barbie Dia De Los Muertos limited edition doll.
It seems that within the last decade Dia De Los Muertos (Day of The Dead) has become much more mainstream with animated films like The Book of Life, Disney’s Coco, and dolls such as the iconic Barbie, embracing the time-honored holiday.
Dia De Los Muertos (Day of The Day) is an annual Mexican holiday that begins October 31 and runs through November 2nd honoring the memory of past family members and friends who are remembered through prayers, parades, offerings, and an overall celebration of their life.
Mattel had such great success with its first Barbie Dia De Los Muertos doll last year that it debuted a new second limited edition collectible doll for 2020.
The new version of the Barbie Dia de Los Muertos doll honors the traditions, symbols, and rituals often associated with the holiday.
In this new version, Barbie is beautifully radiant and styled like La Catrina along with plenty of intricate and delicate features including:
- Barbie’s face is painted in a gorgeous Calavera design
- She is dressed in a traditional blush-colored lace dress and bodice which is embellished with tiny pearlescent details and opens slightly to reveal a second layer embroidered with floral and skeleton accents
- Her braided hair shimmers beneath a crown of skeleton hands holding roses and marigolds
- This Barbie also has custom shoes and jewelry to match her ensemble
- Doll includes a doll stand and Certificate of Authenticity
Retailing at just $75 the highly coveted doll immediately sold out when it debuted the first week of September. However, hardcore collectors can still find her on Amazon for just under $125.
KEEP READING: Check out these totally awesome '80s toys