10 Famous People With Ties To Texas and Specifically Midland/Odessa
If you have lived here all your life then you know this list, but if you are new to the area, here are some famous celebrities that were born or raised in Midland/Odessa.
1. Laura Bush - Former First Lady of the United States. Laura Welch Bush was born in Midland on November 4, 1946. She graduated from Midland Lee High School (now Legacy High School) in 1964.
2. Jeb Bush - Former Governor of Florida, son of former President George H. W. Bush, and younger brother of former President George W. Bush. He was born in Midland on February 11, 1953. He made a run for president in 2016 but dropped out in February of 2016.
3. Woody Harrelson - Actor best known as Woody Boyd on the TV show "Cheers." Woody was born in Midland on July 23, 1961, and moved to his mother's hometown of Lebanon, Ohio in 1973 where he graduated from Lebanon High School in 1979 and then went on to become an award-winning actor.
4. Tommy Lee Jones - Award-winning actor that was born in San Saba, Texas on September 15, 1946, but raised in Midland and attended former Midland Lee High School, now Legacy High School, but moved to Dallas and graduated from St. Mark's School of Texas in 1965.
5. Larry Gatlin - Country and Gospel singer born in Seminole, Texas on May 2, 1948, but moved to Odessa where he was a quarterback at Odessa High School and graduated in 1966.
6. Jim J. Bullock - Actor, born February 9, 1955, in Casper, Wyoming but was raised in Odessa. Best known for his role in the sitcom "Too Close For Comfort" where he played Monroe Ficus and also for his show with former televangelist Tammy Faye Baker in 1996 called the "Jim J. and Tammy Faye Show."
7. Cedric Benson - Football player, born in Midland on December 28, 1982, and graduated from former Midland Lee High School, now Legacy High School, in 2001 and helped Midland Lee win three consecutive state championships in 1998, 1999, and 2000. He went to the University of Texas where he continued to rack up yardage and was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 2005 NFL Draft. He also played for the Cincinnati Bengals and Green Bay Packers where he received an injury to his foot and never played another NFL game. He passed away in a motorcycle accident in Austin, Texas on August 17, 2019.
8. Roy Williams - Football player, born in Odessa on December 20, 1981, and went to Permian High School where he graduated in 2000. He committed to the University of Texas in 2000 and was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the 2004 NFL Draft. He also played for the Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bears.
9. Natalie Hinds - Olympic Swimmer who won the bronze medal in the 4x100-meter freestyle relay in the 2020 Summer Olympics. She was born in Midland on December 7, 1993, and graduated from Midland High School.
10. Bryce Hoppel - a member of the 2020 U.S. Olympic track team where he competed in the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Born in Midland on September 5, 1997, and graduated from Midland High School. He did not medal in the Olympics but owns several records at Midland High School and the University of Kansas.
There is your list of the 10 famous people with ties to the Midland/Odessa area.