Five Family Friendly Things to Do in El Paso over the Memorial Day Weekend
The Memorial Day weekend around here is always choke-full of things to do. There are concerts and festivals everywhere you turn. But they’re not all events you want to – or should – take the kids to. So what’s a parent who wants to get the kids off the couch to do? Children can be tough to please but here are five things I think kids and parents can both enjoy doing this weekend.
1. Watch the hot air balloon launches. One of the best things about the annual KLAQ Balloonfest is the hot air balloon mass ascensions. Sure, this event happens at the crack of dawn, but watching them go up, up and away and dot the sky with their festive, bright colors is enough to make anyone, young or old, ooh and ahh. And it’s free! This year over 20 hot air balloons, including ones shaped like an astronaut, rocket and Planet Earth will launch from the Maldonado Maze in La Union, New Mexico.
2. Get wet and wild. Balloonfest is a two-part party. After the hot air balloon launches in the mornings, the family fun moves to Wet N Wild Waterworld in Anthony. It’s a total win-win; the kids can cool off on the park rides they know and love, while you grill the dogs and burgers under the shade of the trees as you take in all the day-long entertainment.
3. Splish splash in one of the city pools. If getting wet is what you’re looking to do but on a much smaller level, then pack up the kids and head over to one of the city pools for a swim. You’ll find one in just about every part of town.
4. Visit the zoo. If you’re looking to get wild, but not necessarily wet, might I suggest paying the zoo a visit. It’s bigger and better than ever with new attractions such as the African Star train and the Foster Tree House, plus old favorites like the Daily Animal Encounters.
5. Take them ice skating. Get your glide on and cool off on ice skates in the area’s largest public ice skating rink. Not only is it a lot of fun, it’s relatively cheap too. Admission includes skate rental.