13 Weird Texas State Laws That Are Still Active
Did you know that it's illegal to sell your eyes or milk a person's cow in the state of Texas? There are still some outdated and silly laws that don’t apply to Texans but are still in the books.
Don't Show Your Stockings
- In Dennison and Bristol, Texas, if a person adjusts or fusses with their stockings it could lead to a sentence of up to a year in the state penitentiary.
- Apparently there is an anti-crime law in Texas that states that criminals who intend on committing a crime must give their victims oral or written 24-hours advance notice. Not just that, but they must also include the nature of the crime - sure good luck with that.
- Forget selling your eyes - it is totally illegal to do so in Texas.
- The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
No Drinking Sipping and Standing
- In LeFors, Texas, don't even think about taking three sips of beer at a time while standing. That there sir is illegal!
Hotels and Buffalo
- Hold on to your hat - in Texas you cannot shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
No Dusting Buildings
- Why? But for whatever reason is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster.
No Dumpster Eating
- Did you know that you can totally go to jail if you eat out of your neighbor’s garbage without their permission? Gross!
You're Mine Now
- Forget the wedding - In Texas you can be considered legally married by publicly announcing a person as your wife / husband by saying it 3 times. Bettlejuice would be proud.
- If you want to walk around barefoot you will first need to get a special $5 permit.
Get Your Hands Off My Cow
- Get your hands off those utters because if that cow is not yours. In Texas you cannot milk a strangers cow, no matter how much you need milk in your coffee.
Pardon Our Spit
- And in good ol' El Paso, there better be spittoons in all churches, halls of assembly, hotels, banks, stores, train depots and saloons otherwise they are in violation of the law.
No Cheese For You on Sundays
- It’s also illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday in certain parts of Texas, so there goes your football cheese party platter.