Winter Has Arrived In El Paso – El Paso School and Road Closures
El Paso is going to get a taste of winter today with snow and extremely cold temperatures. The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for El Paso starting at 8 am Thursday. Anywhere from 2-5 inches of snow is expected to fall with heavier amounts in isolated locations. Of main concern is icing on area roads, bridges and overpasses starting Thursday and into Friday morning.
The University of Texas at El Paso will open at 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 4 for safe travel during these weather conditions.
All TFCU branches will open at 10 a.m.
NMSU’s Las Cruces campus and Dona Ana Community College will delay opening until 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 4.
The only closures we are aware of Thursday afternoon are:
- Cathedral High School
- Emmanuel Christian School
- TriState Cosmetology
- St. Pius School
- Project Bravo
- and the El Paso Zoo
- Scenic Drive has also been temporarily closed.
- Municipal Court has cancelled today’s sessions and Friday’s sessions that start at 7:00 a.m through 8:30 a.m.
- Trans Mountain is now closed
- NM 404 (Anthony Gap) has been closed again.
- Ramps and overpasses at Spaghetti Bowl HAVE NOW REOPENED (1:15 p.m.)
- UTEP Campus is closing at 11:00 a.m., only critical facilities support personnel and UTEP Police will remain on duty
- White Sands
- YWCA El Paso del Norte childcare centers
- The City of El Paso closes at 3 p.m. on Thursday
- Western Technical College is cancelling night classes that are scheduled for Thursday, January 3,2013 at both campus locations.
- The City of El Paso Environmental Services Department due to the wintry weather is canceling recycling collections on Friday.
LAST UPDATED : 6:15 p.m.
Please give yourself plenty of time to get where you are going, and if at all possible, stay off the roads.