Welcome Home El Paso Vietnam Veterans Celebration Begins on Monday
The El Paso public is invited to the unveiling celebration of the Welcome Home El Paso Vietnam Veteran “Banners” to be displayed in Downtown El Paso and on Airway Blvd. beginning on Monday, August 1, 2016.
Our Vietnam Veterans never actually received an official Welcome Home after they returned from serving their country. Therefore, these ceremonies will serve as an official Welcome Home celebration in honor of these brave men and women who served during that era. To honor these Veterans, the El Paso Welcome Home Vietnam Veteran committee will be hosting eight events the entire month of August 2016, which include:
- Monday, August 1st - Downtown & Airway Blvd. Banners with the Welcome Home Banner.
- Saturday, August 6th - History Museum Grand Opening of Vietnam memorabilia and Digital Wall Vietnam Veteran photos, stories and letters, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, August 9th – Movie screening during the annual Plaza Classic Film Festival at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, August 27th - A family carnival and movie at the baseball park at 6 p.m.
- Sunday August 28th - A parade in Downtown El Paso on August 28th at 10 a.m.
- Sunday August 28th – Holding a recognition dinner after the parade followed by a concert of various bands, at the El Paso County Coliseum, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Ongoing - Stories of Vietnam Veterans and their experiences during and upon arrival back home that are being printed and sponsored by El Paso Times and written with the Assistance of Ms. Sally Fierro, University of Phoenix.
- November 11th - Publishing all the Vietnam Veteran stories in a book to be given to each veteran.