Top 5 Best Things About Summer In El Paso
There are a lot of great things about summer in El Paso, too many really for one Top 5 list, so every now and again, I’m going to do a Top 5 list about one aspect of summer in the EP.
I’m a desert rat. I gotta have heat, and this is why I love summer weather in El Paso:
1. No humidity – Except for a few weeks during out “monsoon” season, the lack of humidity in El Paso makes the triple digit heat bearable. Don’t believe me? Go spend a summer in Houston. Nothing like stepping outside your house and straight into a sauna!
2. Shade – Only in El Paso will you hear people say, “It’s 105? My goodness, standing here in the shade, it only feels like it’s 95,” and say it like it’s a good thing… And actually mean they’re perfectly comfortable!
3. Two words: Nighttime swimming – I know, you can swim at night anywhere, but in El Paso, you don’t freeze your quilinqui’s off when you get out of the pool. Even at 10 o’clock at night, it’s still in the 90s, so when you get out of the pool, you don’t have to worry about any unfortunate shrinkage.
4. Little old people wearing full on suits and dresses – I have black and white pictures of my grandparents having summer picnics with the men wearing slacks, and dress shirts and ties with the sleeves rolled up, and the ladies in dresses and heels, and everyone is having a blast. Now when I see an abuelito or abuelita walking along in the heat, but dressed like they’re going to a party, it seems so El Paso. The old folks know how to handle the heat, and look like they’re part of the Rat Pack all at the same time!
5. Afternoon Naps – There is nothing like a nap in El Paso in the summer. I’ve lived in Austin and San Diego, and they don’t compare in terms of a great summer nap. You know what I’m talking about – you close the shades in your bedroom so it’s nice and dark, your nekkid body melts into the cool sheets, and your heat crazed brain slowly focuses on the hum of the air conditioner and before you know it, you’re asleep. *heaven*
El Paso. There is nothing like it!