Stay Cool With These Tips As El Paso Temps Hit 100
Summer in El Paso means 100 degree temperatures, and this week, we are forecasted to have at least high 90s and a couple of 100 degree days. Now is the time to get ready for those temps so you and your family can get safely through the summer heat.
1. Drink plenty of water. Experts say you shouldn’t wait until you’re thirsty, but instead rehydrate often throughout the day.
2. Don’t drink liquids with alcohol or large amounts of sugar. Those will actually dehydrate you.
3. Never leave anyone, including pets, in a closed parked vehicle. Even cracking the window will not prevent the interior temperature from soaring and potentially being fatal for those inside the car.
4. Try to do outdoor activities like gardening and exercising early in the morning or after the sun has gone down.
5. Use your air-conditioner. People have been found dead in their homes with only fans on. If you need help paying your electric bill during the hot summer months, call the El Paso Electric Company and they can come up with a payment plan for you.
6. If you need a fan, the Extreme Weather Task Force provides fans to the needy. Call 211 and they can help get you one. If you would lke to donate a fan, you can drop them off at any El Paso fire station.