My Tiger Beat Crush
This morning we were talking about Tiger Beat magazine because the man who founded it in 1965, Charles Laufer, passed away. We asked our listeners to tell us which Tiger Beat heartthrob they just had to have up on their bedroom wall when they were growing up. Mine, of course, was Mr. Barry Manilow!
I fell in love with Barry when I was in fourth grade and got a 45 (google it kids) of the song “Mandy”. Oh. My. God. I played that thing until the needle wore through (google will explain the needle reference).
While I was remembering how my little girl heart used to flutter when I heard him sing, I came up with with my top five fave Barry Manilow songs.
1. Mandy – duh! The ultimate Barry song.
2. Copacabana – I saw Barry in concert when I was about 16, my sister Denise bought me the tickets for Christmas, and when he sang this song, the whole place exploded and everyone sang along! So much fun!
3. Weekend in New England – A fabulous song about lost love. It’ll break your heart and make you think about your lost love!
4. Could It Be Magic – Oh how I wanted to be Sweet Melissa!
5. I Made It Through The Rain – Wow! Talk about a been-devastated-but-I-can-see-the-sun-again song! I love to sing this song at the top of my lungs in my car. Yes, I am a dork. But in my car is the only place I can make sure that no one will be able to hear how really badly I sing!
Do you have a favorite Barry song I’ve forgotten? Tell me about it and let’s be Fanilow’s together!
This is one of my favorite versions of Mandy……