Miami City Officials Outraged, Threaten to End Ultra Music Festival
Yesterday, we told you about the 28-year-old security guard who was severely injured at the Ultra Music Festival Friday night after a stampede of fans trampled her nearly to death by trying to rush the gates. On Sunday, the third and last day of the festival weekend, Miami city officials are warning that if changes aren't made, they could deny festival organizers permits for next year.
CBS Miami reports that in light of the hundreds of injuries caused by rowdy fans and drug and alcohol abuse, Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado and City Commissioner Marc Sarnoff are calling for major changes.
Said the Mayor, "This is something that could have been avoided. So in the next weeks we are going to have a discussion on the city commission level to deny the permits for next year for the event here in the city of Miami.”
Sarnoff added, “There was a sort of stampede of people who were trying to get in, very much like what happened last year, but it was about 500 people last year. They tried to get into the front gate last year and we had enough security from the City of Miami Police Department. They put their bikes across their chest and they pushed back and they were able to hold the people back. I’m asking the Chief and the Chief of Fire to meet with me, the Mayor, and the Miami-Dade County Mayor. Let’s get through this weekend and put this thing to bed, never come back again.”
Ultra's organizers released a statement saying they are fully cooperating with ongoing investigations.