Lifeguard Makes an Incredibly Swift Rescue in a Packed Pool
Can you spot the drowning person in the pool?
Summertime is here and a lot of people enjoy spending their days in the pool or at a waterpark. In this video posted to Youtube, you see how quickly a fun day at the pool can turn into a serious situation. Lucky for this little boy, the lifeguard was on top of the situation and saw him the minute he was in danger.
About ten seconds into the video, a young boy gets knocked out of his tube by a wave and struggles to get his head above the water. The lifeguard sees the situation and immediately blows her whistle, which seems to alert the staff to turn off the waves in the pool. She swims to the boys side within ten seconds, and checks on his condition. After seeing that he is okay, the lifeguard swims the boy over to the edge of the pool and helps him get out.
It's important to mention that water safety experts say that children who drown die within 25 yards of their parents. In the video, you see that even though the boy was surrounded by fellow swimmers, no one noticed he was in distress. When your child goes to the pool or the waterpark, it is important to make sure they know not to go too deep into the water. Also, for you to know the warning signs of a person drowning.
Here are some signs to look for from the Daily Mail:
- Head low in the water, mouth at water level
- Head tilted back with mouth open
- Eyes glassy and empty, unable to focus
- Eyes closed
- Hair over forehead or eyes
- Not using legs - vertical
- Hyperventilating or gasping
- Trying to swim in a particular direction but not making headway
- Trying to roll over on the back
- Appear to be climbing an invisible ladder