Las Cruces Police Ask Residents to Report Illegal Fireworks Use [Phone Number]
The Las Cruces fire and police departments have scheduled increased patrols this year in order to combat the use of illegal fireworks within city limits.
Officials are prepared to issue citations and confiscate illegal fireworks. Residents who witness the use of illegal fireworks are asked to call the Central Dispatch non-emergency telephone number of (575) 526-0795. Only in the event of an emergency should residents dial 911.
This year’s dry weather conditions prompted the City of Las Cruces to enact fire restrictions that allow fireworks to be used only on barren or paved lands, and with a readily available water source nearby. The restrictions prohibit the use of fireworks in any city park.
Fireworks allowed to be purchased and discharged in Las Cruces are ground and hand-held sparkling and smoking devices such as: cone fountains, crackling devices, cylindrical fountains, flitter sparklers, illuminating torches, smoke devices and wheels.
Fireworks prohibited for possession, sale or use in Las Cruces are aerial and ground audible devices such as: aerial spinners, helicopters, mines, missile-type rockets, Roman candles, shells, stick-type rockets, chasers and firecrackers.
Since fireworks purchased outside Las Cruces may be prohibited within the city it is advised to possess and discharge fireworks only in the jurisdiction where they were purchased.
Additional rules and safety guidelines include:
- Fireworks may not be sold to anyone who is intoxicated or younger than 16.
- Keep in mind the hour of usage and be considerate of your neighbors.
- Be aware that dry weather conditions have left grasses and weeds susceptible to fire.
- Limit use of fireworks to the outdoors and away from combustibles.
- Children should never use fireworks without close adult supervision.
- Light only one pyrotechnic at a time and move a safe distance away while it ignites.
- Purchase fireworks only from a licensed vendor.
- Follow all label directions carefully and use common sense.
- Safely dispose of all spent casings and debris.