How to Properly Pull over When Emergency Vehicles Are Approaching
Subscribe to 93.1 KISS FM on
The El Paso Fire Department has put out a video that illustrates the proper way to pull over when emergency vehicles are approaching on the road way.
We’ve all been there or seen when a rogue driver either tries to outrun an emergency vehicle or worse they ignore it completely. While most drivers are vigilant while driving the El Paso Fire Department would like to remind all drivers on how to properly pull over and prevent from getting in the way of emergency crews and avoid an unnecessary collision.
The following tips are provided by the El Paso Fire Department to not only help drivers get out of the way securely but also to allow emergency vehicles to arrive at their destination safely and quickly as time plays an important factor for them.
- Pull Over To The Right – Pull over to your right every time when it’s safe to do so and let emergency vehicles pass. Keep an eye on other vehicles in the right lane and don’t force your vehicle into the right lane.
- Never Stop – Never just stop in the middle of the road when attempting to get out of the way.
- Never Pass an Emergency Vehicle – Whether you have the green light or not, never, ever, attempt to pass an emergency vehicle.
- Never Pull Over to the Left – When attempting to pull Never do so to the left of the road way as that lane is designated for emergency vehicles.
- Do Not Follow Behind – Never tailgate behind an emergency vehicle with its sirens on, drivers must always keep a distance of 500 feet.
With these tips in mind you should be good to go the next time you see or hear sirens creeping up behind you when driving.