Grilling For Labor Day? Here Are The Top 10 Grilling Mistakes [List]
Does your dad or husband think he’s the “grilling master”? Well, he truly is IF he doesn’t break these grilling rules.
1. COOKING WITHOUT HEATING THE GRILL Just like you’d heat a pan before you put food in it, it’s very important to preheat the grill to cook any foods properly.
2. LEAVING THE LID OPEN You would never bake a cake with the oven door open, right? Just like preheating is essential to proper cooking, so is temperature control while grilling.
3. IGNORING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIRECT AND INDIRECT HEAT If something takes 20 minutes or less to cook, use direct heat. If it takes more than 20 minutes, use indirect.
4. INCINERATING YOUR FOOD The hotter the fire does not mean the better you’ll cook your food. Most food is delicate and needs a gentle heat after you sear it.
5. SLATHERING FOOD EARLY AND OFTEN WITH SAUCE It takes 45 to 60 minutes to grill bone-in chicken pieces and only 5 to 10 minutes for sweet barbecue sauce to set and caramelize. So brush your food with sauce at the end of the cooking time.
6. OILING THE GRILL GRATES A thin layer of oil on the food holds in moisture. Many grilling authors tell people to take a rag or a paper towel, dip it in oil and coat the cooking grates of your lit grill with it.
7. USING SUPER LONG TONGS People think the longer the tongs are the better, but the truth is the longer the tongs, the less control you have.
8. PLACING FISH DIRECTLY ON THE GRILL When fish skin scorches on the grill it can give the fish that awful fishy flavor.
9. COOKING RIBS UNTIL THEY FALL APART Pick up the ribs and give it a bend: If it’s nice and flexible but not springy or rubbery, then it’s generally done. If it falls apart immediately, then it’s probably overcooked.
10. BUYING THE WRONG CUT FOR BRISKET A lot of people cook only the flat or the lean part of brisket, which often comes out tough and dry. Ask the butcher what cut is better for grilling.
Courtesy of foodandwine.com
Have fun BBQ-ing and don’t forget to invite!