Fort Bliss History Reviewed In ‘Only In El Paso’ Video Series [VIDEO]
Fort Bliss has been a part of the El Paso landscape since the 1840s when it was known as the Paso del Norte fort. Today it is one of the oldest military installations in the Army. It was commissioned to help bring law and order to a lawless border region. The current location of Fort Bliss is one of several it has occupied throughout the El Paso region. The fort's name was changed to Fort Bliss in 1854, and is named for William Wallace Smith Bliss, an Army officer and son-in-law of President Zachary Taylor.
The video series, 'Only in El Paso', tells the stories of El Paso's history, architecture, and the people who have made this city their home. There are ten videos in the series covering everything from the Korean community here in El Paso to history of the Star on the Mountain.