KLAQ’s Great River Raft Race
- Final registration opportunities for the Great River Raft Race!
- Friday from 10 to Noon at VIVA Power Sports- Q
- People can register to win$100 toward building their raft at this location.
- Registrations taken between 9am and 5pm at KLAQ offices, 4180 N Mesa, 79902.
- Final registration: from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Saturday, June 22nd, at the El Paso Sports Commission Starting Line! (Vinton Bridge).
Join us for KLAQ’S Rockin’ Day in the Country starting with The Great River Raft Race on June 22nd, presented by the VIVA Auto Group! Ride the river and float the Rio Grande. Gather your friends and make a raft that will get you down the river! Prizes and trophies will be awarded for the most points earned, best looking crew, and best decorated raft. Don’t forget, all rafts, canoes, and kayaks must have the letter Q”, or “KLAQ” on it!
Get ready to make a splash at the Vinton bridge starting line. Participants will check in and receive all race materials at the start line. The race end is located just above the Canutillo bridge.
Entry fee is $20 per raft plus $10 per person participating.
Entry to the Great River Raft Race includes a free Raft Race T-shirt, thanks to Teacher’s Federal Credit Union and tickets to the After Party. Live music starting at noon!
- 3rd Edge
- Biscuit Roller
- Joe Barron Band
- Trailer Band
- The Lusitania
The after party will be held at Little Bit of Texas, right after the race! Enter in the kayak and canoe division, or build a float and enter the small raft division (for four or less people), or large raft division (for 5 to 10 people)! Enjoy $2 Coors Light longnecks.
Children can participate, but, they must be at least 10 years of age. Any child that participates must have a waiver signed by their parent.
Pick up your registration forms at any VIVA Auto Group location, or at VIVA Power Sports.
- Kayak (1 to 2 people)
- Canoe (1 to 2 people)
- Small Raft (1 to 4 people)
- Large Raft (5 to 10 people)
- The Ark Balloon Frenzy! Pick up balloons for extra points throughout the race! The points will be color coordinated- points per color will be revealed at the Little Bit of Texas After Party!
- The Sportsman’s Elite Super Soaker Crew will be on site and ready to drench you! Watch out and stay away from the splashing water crew!
- The Station Recreation Capture the Flag Challenge! Flags will be strategically placed throughout the race and you can earn points for each one you get!!
Be the first in your category to make it down the river with your dog and win a gift certificate from Pet’s Barn! Treat your pooch at the Pet’s Barn Canine’s Corner located at the end of the race!
Canoes and Kayaks
- Earn 25 points if you make it down the river in 60 minutes.
- Earn 15 points if you make it in down the river in 90 minutes.
Small Rafts and Large Rafts:
- Earn 25 points if you make it down the river in 90 minutes.
- Earn 15 points of you make it down the river in 120 minutes.
You can go as fast as you’d like- but don’t forget, the more points you earn along the way the better chance you have at the cash!
- OVER $1000.00 in cash prizes!
- Canoes and Kayaks will compete for Most Points earned throughout the race! First place wins $100 cash second place wins $50 cash!
- First Place on Most Points Earned in each of the categories (Small Raft and Large Raft competing in their own units) wins $200 cash per category!
- First Place winners for Best Dressed Crew will be determined on an overall setting, meaning, Canoes, Kayaks, Small Raft, and Large Raft competitors will all be taken into account for this challenge! First Place wins $100 cash!
- Best Decorated Rafts will take in first place in each of the small raft and large raft category. First Place winners win $200 in cash!
Starting Line: Vinton Bridge
Coors Light Finish Line: Canutillo Bridge
Check in Time 9:00-10:45 AM
Race Time: 11:00 AM (approximately)
After Party: To be held right after the race at Little Bit of Texas
After a full morning of racing, enjoy live music on the Cowtown Stage, ice cold drinks, and the Bikini’s N’ Boots runway show at Little Bit of Texas! The party goes from noon through 6:00pm! Admission included if you signed up for the race, and it’s only $5.00 for friends and family that didn’t get to sign up! The Grub Food Truck will be on-site and available for you to grab lunch!