El Paso Fire Department Shares Summer Safety Tips
With triple-digit temperatures hitting our region already, the summer season is definitely upon us and the El Paso Fire Department wants to share some easy ways to stay safe in the heat this summer.
Safety Summer Tips:
- Excessive Heat Safety - Know the signs of heat related illnesses.These include in order of progression: Heat Rash, Sunburn (Sunburn reduces the body’s ability to cool off), Heat Cramps, Heat exhaustion and Heat Stroke. Heat Stroke is a severe medical emergency so please seek immediate medical attention.
- Stay indoors and limit your exposure to the sun.
- If possible move outdoor work to early morning or evening hours.
- Wear light-colored, lightweight, loose-fitting clothing.
- Drink plenty of water and replace electrolytes. Avoid heavy meals, caffeine and alcohol.
- Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink water.
- At minimum, you should be drinking eight, 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
- Protect face and head; wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Sunscreens with and SPF of 30 or more applied 30 minutes prior to going outside should be applied to all surfaces that will be exposed the sun.
- Check on friends and family, especially the elderly.
- NEVER leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- Ensure pets have plenty of water.
Stay cool this summer with more safety tips thanks to the El Paso Fire Department.