Free Books, Activities at Día de los Niños, Día de los Libros Celebration
If your child likes to read or you want to get him or her interested in reading more, plan to be at this year's Día de los Niños, Día de los Libros Children's Literacy and Health Celebration.
Tens of thousands of books will be given away at the 22nd annual children’s day event, which will be held Saturday, April 28, 2018 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Washington Park.
Everything -- books, entertainment, activities, admission -- is free, according to the city website. About the only thing you'll have to pay for is food, but if you want to pack a picnic basket or bring your own drinks and sandwiches that's cool too.
Here's what you need to know if you plan to go:
• Washington Park is located next to the El Paso Zoo [Map]
• Parking will not be permitted near the park entrances
• Free parking available at the El Paso County Coliseum [Map]
• Free shuttle transport from the coliseum to the park
• Children should bring backpacks or reusable bags to carry books and goodies
For those who can't make it to the big Washington Park celebration, the Sergio Troncoso Branch located at 9321 Alameda, Armijo Branch at 620 E. 7th, and Esperanza Moreno branch at 12480 Pebble Hills will be having "mini-dias" celebrations from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.