Early Voting Begins Today – Ortega vs Leeser
Today is not only the beginning of another week, it’s the beginning of early voting in the runoff election for a new El Paso mayor and three city representatives.
In one of the most contentious and controversial mayoral races in recent memory, current City Representative Steve Ortega will try to overcome a huge lead by Hyundai of El Paso owner Oscar Leeser to take that seat. In the election last month, Leeser took 47-percent of the votes, just a few points shy of the 51% he needed to win the seat outright. Ortega took 28-percent in that election.
Larry Romero and Jim Tolbert are squaring off for the seat left vacant by City Rep Susie Byrd. Byrd is now serving on the El Paso Independent School District Board of Trustees.
In the Northeast, current City Rep Carl Robinson is trying to hold off challenger Samuel Morgan to keep his seat on council.
Meanwhile, former County Commissioner Tania Chozet is facing off against Lily Limon for the City Council seat currently held by Steve Ortega.
Early voting happens from today through June 11th. The runoff election is Saturday, June 15th.
There are 11 early voting sites, and the El Paso County Elections Department has two mobile voting stations that will be at different sites thoughout the week.
You can vote from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, except at the El Paso County Courthouse, where voting will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All polls will be closed Sunday, June 9th.
Early-voting stations around town:
- Bassett Place, 6101 Gateway West.
- Carolina Recreation Center, 563 N. Carolina Drive.
- El Paso County Courthouse, lower level, 500 E. San Antonio Ave.
- Marty Robbins Recreation Center, 11600 Vista del Sol Drive.
- Pavo Real Recreation Center, 9301 Alameda Ave.
- Pebble Hills Village Center, Space F, 10780 Pebble Hills Blvd.
- Polly Harris Senior Center, 650 Wallenberg Drive.
- Regency of El Paso, 221 Bartlett Drive.
- Sun Valley Center, No. 105, 4525 Sun Valley Drive.
- Sunrise Shopping Center, No. 56, 8500 Dyer St.
- Zaraplex Center, No. 123, 1700 Zaragoza Road.
Mobile voting locations:
- Monday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., South El Paso Senior Citizen Center, 600 S. Ochoa St., and Hilos de Plata Senior Citizen Center, 4451 Delta Drive.
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., UTEP Union East, 500 W. University Ave.; and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., EPCC Valle Verde, 919 Hunter Drive.
- Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., EPCC-Rio Grande, 100 W. Rio Grande Ave.; and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Gary Del Palacio Recreation Center, 3001 Parkwood St.
- Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Westside Branch Library, 125 Belvidere St.; and Armijo Branch Library, 620 E. Seventh Ave.
- Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Don Haskins Recreation Center, 7400 High Ridge Drive; and Pat O’Rourke Recreation Center, 901 N. Virginia St.
- Saturday, June 8: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Dorris Van Doren Regional Branch Library, 551 Redd Road; and Esperanza Acosta Moreno Regional Branch Library, 12480 Pebble Hills Blvd.
- Monday, June 10: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., El Paso Police Headquarters, 911 N. Raynor St.; and Jose Cisneros Branch Library, 1300 Hawkins Blvd.
- Tuesday, June 11: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., City of El Paso, 300 N. Campbell St., and Memorial Park Branch Library, 3200 Copper Ave.