El Paso Blood Bank is Begging for Donations
January is National Blood Donors Month and you can help save a life when you donate blood.
Every January our local blood banks run extremely low on blood supply, therefore United Blood Services is asking any one who can donate blood to do so.
Plus when you donate blood this month your name will be entered to win a $500 Best Buy gift card.
United Blood Services is looking for all blood types at this time. You can donate at either of their locations:
424 S. Mesa Hills
1338 N. Zaragoza Rd.
Check out some interesting facts on donating blood:
- 1 pint of blood can save three lives
- Every 2 seconds someone needs a blood transfusion
- 5 million patients need in the U.S need blood every year
- Less than 38% of the population is eligible to give blood
- Blood cannot be manufactured; it can only come from volunteer donors
- 30 million blood components are transfused each year
- Platelets, critical for cancer patients, have a shelf life of only 5 days.
- Adults have 10-12 pints of blood in their body – 1 pint is given during donation.
- Only 7% of people in the US have the Universal donor blood type, O negative
- Every blood donor is given a mini-physical, checking the donor’s temperature, blood pressure, pulse and hemoglobin to ensure it is safe for the donor to give blood.
- The actual blood donation typically takes less than 10-12 minutes. The entire process, from the time you arrive to the time you leave, takes about an hour and 15 min.
- A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days, or double red cells every 112 days.
- All donated blood is tested for HIV, hepatitis B and C, syphilis and other infectious diseases before it can be released to hospitals.
Donate today and you can help save a life.