Cellphone Catches Fire Under Teenager’s Pillow
I've never slept with a cell phone under my pillow, but one Texas teenager did, and it could have killed her. The phone caught fire and burned the bed she was sleeping in.
The phone fire was so hot that the phone melted and was destroyed. The phone had a replacement lithium ion battery and the family thinks it overheated. There are come companies that warn that covering your phone with bedding can cause a fire or explosion. 13 year old Ariel Tolfree says she's learned her lesson about where to stash her phone when she goes to bed. She said she'll never keep her phone in her bed again, and will leave it on the floor or her nightstand.
There was a survey done last year that showed that over 60% of people ages 18 to 29 say they sleep with their phone or tablet in their bed, and almost 30% of those ages 30 to 44 do do the same thing, so clearly, this is a widespread problem.
Experts say you should treat your cell phone like you would a lit cigarette in bed.