Celebrate Frida Kahlo’s 110th Birthday This Weekend
Subscribe to 93.1 KISS FM on
The Borderland Fridas will be celebrating everything Frida Kahlo this Saturday, July 1, 2017 at Alamo Drafthouse Montecillo.
Frida Kahlo would have been 110-year’s old on July 6th – Kahlo who made a huge impact in the art world and culture over all will be celebrated in a homage this weekend by the The Borderland Fridas at the Alamo Draft House . This family friendly event will include workshops, arts and crafts, a Frida Kahlo look-alike contest and a special one time screening of the 2002 film Frida, starring Salma Hayek along with a special introduction by Dr. Carlos Ortega from UTEP’s Chicano Studies Program among other speakers.
Tickets are on sale now for only $9 and are now available at drafthouse.com
- 12 p.m. – Performance by Danza Azteca Omecoatl, a dance group from El Paso performing traditional ceremonial Aztec dances dedicated to Mother Nature.
- 12:30 p.m. -1:30 p.m. – Children’s Workshop: Self portrait canvas workshop. (Limited to first 40 guests ages 5-14)
- 1:30 p.m. – Performance by Ballet Folklorico of El Paso, a non-profit dedicated to the preservation of Mexican Culture through the art of dance.
- 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. – Adult Workshop: Self portrait altar workshop. (Limited to first 40 guests ages 15 and up)
- 2:30 p.m. – Movie feature: FRIDA starring Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina
- 3 p.m. – Performance by Luna y Sol duet made up of local musicians Lluvia Torresday and Consuelo Pintor.
- 4 p.m. – Frida look-alike contest
- 5:30 p.m. – Speaker Garland Courts, Director of Education for four museums: Museum of Nature & Science, Museum of Art, Branigan Cultural Center and Railroad Museum on the importance of preserving Mexican art and culture.
Homenaje a Frida
- Alamo Draft House Montecillo
- Saturday – July 1, 2017
- Event begins at 12 p.m. with the Frida movie screening beginning at 2:30 p.m.