Average Wedding Cost Is Soooo High You Should Stay Single Forever
It’s the Out-Rageous wedding.
According to a survey of 13,000 brides and grooms who tied the knot last year, the average cost of a wedding in the U.S. is a staggering $35,329. That’s pretty heart to believe, right? Even worse news to swallow: that price doesn’t take the honeymoon into account.
Yeah, that’ll make you think twice before popping the question this Valentine’s Day.
The average price tag for a wedding jumped nearly $2,700 from the year before. The highest average was in New York City, where the event costs more than $78,000. The lowest average is in Arkansas, which runs slightly more than $19,500.
Here are some other stats that will make you debate whether you should have a big blowout or decide to get hitched in your parents’ basement where your high school friend who got ordained as a minister presides over the ceremony.
- average number of wedding guests – 141
- average cost per wedding guest — $245
- 10% of couples pay for the wedding by themselves
- the bride’s parents pay 44% of the costs
- the couple pays 42% of the costs
- the groom’s parents pay 13% of the costs
- about 50% of weddings go over budget